Saturday, June 26, 2010

Aurally Audacious Endeavours – Sovgner/Knuckles

Only recently did I ever get into techno. A long time ago, I was really a pop-punk kid in middle school, the kind of the music you want to associate yourself with because it was cool in the early 00’s. But now, I like to think I’ve advanced in musical taste in diversity and appreciation. And something I always value is some in-your-face, all-out, overwhelming beats.

That, obviously, comes in the form of electronic music. Now, to me the genre of ‘electronic’ is so god damn broad it shouldn’t be called a straight up genre, because there’s so many sub-genres within it that are, by themselves, just as expansive. Take House music for example, one of my favourites, as it now incorporates so many different elements its hard to pinpoint a specific, classic House DJ. Despite this, I still go with Daft Punk, cause they’re OG when it comes to House.

Dance is another genre with lots of expansive sub-genres, and really I think Dance music is just music that you can find it nightclubs and whatnot, which is basically everything, so I still don’t follow the categorizing scheme of these things, but whatever.

The fact of the matter is, I’ve grown to love hard electronic music not only for the methods in which DJ’s can create beat construction and the subtleties or intense abruptness of drops, but just because the amount of fist-pumping you can do to this kind of music is absolutely endless.

Which gets me to Sovgner, formerly known as Knuckles. He’s an underground DJ hailing from Paris who, from what I have heard so far, makes beats like no other DJ I’ve heard yet. Plus, from him, I’ve discovered a few more insanely good DJ’s that too make beats that I’ve never heard before.

To me Sovgner is part of a DJ scene that’s slowly starting to rise in notoriety, because of the power of the intarwebz and the willingness for people to search up this kind of music.

Initially, I found out about Sovgner through watching a Staff Pick video on Vimeo:

KNUCKLES | BLAKE - WHAT I LIKE from Paul Bryan on Vimeo.

From there, I did a little research, and in the French House scene, I can assume that Sovgner gets talked about in nightclubs, but elsewhere, I can assume that he’s relatively unknown, and I’d like to get all his music, but that seems like a difficult task. What sucks about underground music is that it’s so unknown you can’t even illegally download it, because no store you know sells it near you.

Where’s the fairness in that?

At any rate, Sovgner (Westernized spelling; it’s a European name I think), exemplifies everything that is incredibly about techno, and specifically electro house, where just about any hard bass coupled with ‘saturated melodies’ makes your head bang and fist pump so much you get lost in it all.

Or something like that.

Check him out, and it should lead you to a whole other area of underground electronic music that contains probably the best I’ve, and you will, ever heard and hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment