Monday, December 28, 2009

Aurally Audacious Endeavours – DJ Deckstream

Hope you had a Happy Festivus, Christmas Eve, Christmas and Boxing Day. Let’s throw in the Sunday after Boxing Day, just to get them all down. Also, Happy Holidays to all you other people. Now that we’ve addressed your celebratory state of mind, let’s get onto business at hand.

It’s high time I got back into the auditory sharing mood, since it is a festive time and all. In my hiatus with these kinds of posts, you can say I’ve been doing extensive research and fine-tuning my ears in both tolerance and experimentation.

Since the last post I did, which I believe was on underground rapper Atmosphere, I was in a hip and hoppy mood. Ever since then, I’ve been browsing the intarwebz for pretty much everything from rap sub-genres to some pretty sweet DJ-ing.

And one of these guys, as I would find out, created some pretty dope beats.

Something that has always caught my interest was unorthodox combinations in music. You’ve seen that I certainly enjoy the right genre-melding, or unique sounds (at least to my ears). When I heard DJ Deckstream, I hear jazz piano, shuffling drumbeats, and featured rappers, whom when combined with Deckstream’s beats, create something worth awing at.

Hailing from Japan, he has already released two major albums, DJ Deckstream Soundtracks I & II. I have yet to listen to most of the tracks, but some quick research shows a pretty impressive line-up in terms of team-ups. The likes of Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, and as you’ve heard, Mos Def, already give legitimacy to this man’s musical ability. Combining forces with famed local rappers from his home country of Japan, Deckstream combines his impressive beats with lyrics from the best hip-hop artists of North America, and some indie ones too.

Whether it’s the instant connection with this man’s combination of smooth and chill style with classic hip-hop fashion, or his musical chemistry with which seems like any MC he makes a track with, DJ Deckstream is a hit, even if he is indie.

Some people keep saying that hip-hop is dead. This man proves the opposite.

Check him out, because you won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment