Saturday, October 17, 2009

Aurally Audacious Endeavours - Atmosphere

Thought I’d spread the love across more genres to share. Rap’s been a rather exclusive genre to like, and a massive international culture has revolved around it for decades. Mostly, those interested in rap are interested in African-American culture (Wow, it sounds weird to write politcially correct.) or much of the social history of West Side and East Side black communities.

But this isn’t a post about social history, it’s about rap. So take a listen.

Alright, let’s get some things out of the way first.

1) He’s white. (Bear with me, Erin.)

2) He’s middle-aged. (I know what you’re thinking.)

3) I pretty much disregarded my first paragraph.

Yeah, it’s a white dude from Minneapolis. But I’m not going to compare him to some black rappers or elaborate on how comically white he actually looks. Instead, I’m going to tell you about this beat. And this beat is pretty damn slick. Also, the lyrics. These lyrics flow pretty damn well. Beat & flow. I may be misinformed, and I welcome anyone with extensive knowledge in the subject of rap elements to correct me, but I’m pretty sure those two things compose good rap.

Which is why this music is good, in my opinion. This guy has been underground for more than a decade, and he’s pretty successful by the looks of his Wikipedia page (Everyone should judge a subject’s success by the size of its Wiki page). Most of the songs off his latest album combine pretty interesting instrumentation to create some awesome beats. He tells stories from his raps. He rhymes about his hangovers and his love affairs. He doesn’t do intense social commentary rap or flamboyant gangsta rap. He just raps about normal stuff, almost. That’s pretty cool.

Look, I know he’s white, and I know you’re thinking Lupe Fiasco can school this fool, but work with me here. Racial segregation works both ways. Let’s just all have fun listening to some good rap, regardless. Plus he’s got a black dad, so cut him some slack.

Wow, okay. Maybe I’m stretching it with the racial segregation thing. Just, uhh…

Rap should unite us all? Yeah! Woo!

Check out his latest album When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold.

What a sick album name, don’t you think?

image

No comments:

Post a Comment