Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Time to shake off the rust, Globes. (Part 1)

Yes, you now see the reason why I have RSS Feeds from Rotten Tomatoes on my blog. So I can give you the news you might have missed because you’re too lazy to check out the sidebar for more interesting news. But I digress.

Another year, and another set of movies that probably shouldn’t have been nominated, or maybe this year is different. I really hope this year is different.

Only way to find out is examine the nominees. 2009 has been a pretty significant year for film, with James Cameron’s comeback into immediate stardom thanks to his multi-billion dollar budget and the word ‘Titanic’ connected with everything he does. It’s also because QT has returned, Kathryn Bigelow surprised the scene with another movie, and the Coen Brothers have also come back after a disappointing awards reception for Burn After Reading, which I was considerably angry about.

I’ll hold onto my blades of bloody vengeance though, since the Oscars haven’t arrived yet. Onto our categories, and their respective nominees!

Best Motion Picture – Drama

Avatar, dir. James Cameron

The Hurt Locker, dir. Kathryn Bigelow

Inglourious Basterds, dir. Quentin Tarantino

Precious, dir. Lee Daniels

Up in the Air, dir. Jason Reitman

Well, here’s a dilemma. James Cameron goes with Avatar. Quentin Tarantino goes with Inglourious Basterds. George Clooney pretty much saves Up in the Air from elimination. But, who the hell is Lee Daniels? I know these aren’t the nominees for Best Director, but I doubt a film with unknown people is going to have a chance at the Globes. Sad, but true. And the reason why I don’t think The Hurt Locker will win is purely because I’m a cynical bastard. It’s going to be Avatar, people. Or maybe this is a plot to batter my trust in the reviewing committee (or whatever they're called) and make the right decision in choosing The Hurt Locker. Lately though, it seems Awards ceremonies for film like choosing the wrong films to win. Let’s see if the never-ending trend continues.

------------------------------------------------

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

(500) Days of Summer, dir. Marc Webb

The Hangover, dir. Todd Phillips

It’s Complicated, dir. Nancy Meyers

Julie & Julia, dir. Nora Ephron

Nine, dir. Rob Marshall

I’ve watched one of these movies, so I’m going to go ahead and say what I was thinking. The Hangover was extremely funny. See, I bet you thought I was going to be a biased douchebag and pick it just because it’s the only one I watched. Well, you’re wrong. And you’re a jerk for thinking that. However, I will tell you that Nine has a strong chance. I can feel it, because D-Day Lewis’ beard possesses dubious amounts of classy awesomeness. Then again, Zach Galifianakis’s is pretty scruffy too, so maybe The Hangover might sneak in with a surprise. But, D-Day shaves his beard for the filming of Nine! It’s getting pretty heated now. Since (500) Days seems to lack ample beard, and I hope Julie & Julia doesn’t consist of bearded ladies, I think the chances are equal between our two contenders. Oh, and old hacks trying to save their careers by battling over Meryl Streep. So last year. Make way for the beards, amateurs.

Or maybe not, since the last time I checked the Golden Globes didn’t award people for the best beards. It isn’t too late to start though.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, it seems this year’s films have an equal chance at something or the other, but I haven’t put my finger on it. I’m pretty sure one of em’s going to win something. We’ll have to wait for the exciting conclusion to these events. Unleash the beards!

If you don’t want to bother checking Rotten Tomatoes for the rest of the nominees in the other categories, I shall post them up and give my unmatchable cinematic insight on films I have not yet seen. It’s how I do.

Also, WHERE THE FUCK IS DISTRICT 9, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, I forgot about television nominations. Those will also be going up. Surprsingly, I think I've seen more television series than films this year. Weird.

DISTRICT 9, BITCHES. YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment