Saturday, December 12, 2009

‘Destination? HORROR.’ [Glee – Season 1 Review]

image Quite an ironic statement coming from a show entitled by the very emotion it creates in its viewers. But being Fox’s new entertainment investment, and seeing as rumours have spread that the series almost got dropped before it even began, I think it’s safe to say that Glee will remain for a long time to make us smile on a bad day.

The first time I watched this show, I didn’t know if it was better or worse than High School Musical. Same stereotypes, same cheesy dialogue, same simple and superficial plots. Cool teachers though, and some kick-ass vocals. So I decided to stay for a couple more weeks and see where that takes me.

And where it took me is one of the best TV shows I have watched in a long time. With the hiatuses of LOST and 24 keeping me foaming at the mouth, the disastrous quality drop of our beloved Heroes a few seasons back, I was eager to find an excuse to move away from my monitor for a while and spend my time on a couch.

By the end of the first episode, I was not disappointed. While the characters really do come off as recycled stereotypes, and the plot and writing are mediocre at best, it’s the music that really matters with this show, and it doesn’t waste any time. Each episode contains at least three musical numbers, all covers of popular and classic songs from both Broadway and the top charts of today’s music. With tunes from Wicked and Grease coupled with Kanye West or Queen, there really is something for everyone in this show.

Which brings me to the actually talent in it. All actors are up-and-coming or already established Broadway performers, well-endowed in awesome vocal ability. Stars of the show like Lea Michele or Matthew Morrison have fresh voices that add a new spin to classics, or add their own touch to chart hits. Each cover of a popular song is already a convincing enough idea to captivate its viewers, but this is a show choir, and they have to dance.

image

Song and dance go hand-in-hand, and combined, they will bring a smile to your face. Each episode I end up with a dumb smile on my face, and another song stuck in my head. Even Avril Lavigne or Kelly Clarkson, Glee just does it. It’s a happy show, and it makes you happy.

However, happy doesn’t cut it these days. Shows need substance and depth to keep a viewer watching every week. If you watch it from the beginning, the plot is shallow and the writing mediocre, but I think the biggest surprise comes when characters start breaking out of their stereotypes, conflict arises in every corner, and truly hilarious shenanigans relieve the show of dry, repetitive humour.

sueSpecial mention of this goes to Jane Lynch, who expertly plays the evil cheerleading coach, for lack of a better term. It seems unanimous that her character alone saves the show, but with so much else going for it, I don’t see this force stopping for a long time.

I can’t cover everything I enjoy about this series, because I enjoy almost everything. But there is singing and dancing, hate and love, competition and conflict, and most of all, there’s a lot of glee. A proper title for a very fun series.

Also, the fall finale is one of the best episodes of a television show I have ever seen, if that counts for anything.

This show will give you chills with each number, and it never fails at doing what it’s supposed to: entertain. I can’t wait for it to come back. The second half of Season 1 returns on April 1, 2010, so pick up a copy of the first 13 episodes, and then hold on to your seats.

We’ll have to wait for the finish to this very musical ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment