Friday, August 14, 2009

I’m Anthony Suen. From WILDsound. VIP, bitch.

Yesternight was quite the experience. Due to my impeccable and unparallel depth and insight into my wonderful reviews at WILDsound, they generously provided me with two free tickets to a pre-screening of a documentary at the Yonge & Dundas AMC in Toronto.

Ecstatic as I was, I was still weary of the legitimacy of this offer, yet I oddly knew that they were not trying to lure me into a trap and use me for human trafficking underground organizations. Still, my doubts were there. Nevertheless, I accepted the offer, within all reason, to see this pre-screening.

To my delight, when I got there, I went up to the table to recieve my tickets, and calmly said,

“I’m Anthony Suen. From WILDsound. I have two free tickets.”

They calmly replied,

“Sorry?”

While I was silently screaming inside, I implemented my backup plan in swift motion. A copy of the email WILDsound had sent me in hand, I gave it to them as evidence of my deserved right to be in that pre-screening. Slightly more together now, they told me to write my name down, gave me my rightfully earned free tickets, and proceeded to Theatre 3 with my friend, who was white, so I didn’t feel out of place.

What I discovered inside that theatre was almost atrocious. As it filled up, middle-aged men and women sat down, discussing their stock trends and their banking accounts and their last dinner party with their In-Laws. Endless glimmering lights of iPhones and Blackberries, their consumed little fingers pressing away to tell their less-endowed friends of their privilege of being at the pre-screening. The upper-middle class was everywhere, and my friend and I were terrified.

We soldiered on however, and once the actual movie began, I forgot about the plague of the upper-middle class and enjoyed a really good documentary about the two guys who made Disney music a hit ever since the 40’s.

So, while my woes are numerous, it was a pleasant experience having one of the actual Sherman brothers, Dick Sherman; a two-time Academy Award winner, answer questions and play for us audience a few of his, and our favourite songs. I learned a little more about the history of Disney, and the legacy it provided for all the future generations. A good little doc, and a pretty fun time.

Check out the WILDsound film festival website for reviews on every single movie made, or at least there will be.

My review of The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story (the film that was screened) will be up in a few days. Watch for it on the website. Link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment