Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Serious Investment

image

DC’s getting ready to release their behind-the-scenes production insider at the end of the month. It’s chocked full of creature designs, special effects processes, a shit-ton of storyboard and concept art—probably anyway, I’m just guessing that’s what I’m going to see when I get my hands on it. And I will, damn it.

I’m 90% sure the four of you reading this don’t give two shits about creature design, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Green Lantern, if nothing else, is a great example of the capabilities of the imagination in creating truly interesting creatures, or in this case, sentient beings.

image

imageimage

What’s interesting is that they’ve gone both ways with interpretting the comic book characters for the screen. Some designs are strikingly similar to the comic book mythos, while others deviate greatly, and that’s where I assume much of the creative gets their hands dirty with figuring out ways to reinvigorate the goal in portraying these characters: truly make them look alien.

With Salaak (left) – the guy has four arms, so that’s already not very humanoid, but they still made his chest distinctly different from a human’s, unlike in with comic book artists who do take liberties with drawing these alien characters and basing much of them off human anatomy. But with Medphyll (right), who’s actually a sentient plant species, the creature designers wanted to play that up in the film, so giving him a much more recognizable plant look as their take on his appearance. Plus, they make the one-eye thing going on not look as dorky as it possibly could have.

image

More hi-res Flickr photos of the book here.

My main praise with what I’ve seen so far from the film, is the creature design that I’ve been exposed to. Frankly, I think its astounding, because you don’t normally get to see this kind of art and design in a comparative and relative manner. Usually, creature design comes directly from the imagination, but with Green Lantern, you have a before and after to look at, and to see what those artists have taken with them and what they’ve changed is like looking into a candy store for me.

[via io9.]

Hey if it’s not your thing, that’s okay. But you gotta admit, it’s a bit cool.

I’m gonna jump on the ‘I dont give a fuck if you don’t like what I post, this shit isn’t about you’ bandwagon. Should just get a Tumblr, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment