Thursday, July 15, 2010

Aurally Audacious Endeavours - Thomas Feiner & Anywhen

After I became 4chan’s bitch, at least on their music board, I relied on them to supply me with most of the obscure music I like to take pride in. So really, I’m a fraud and a hipster. But who isn’t?

Among those dangerously immersive ‘sharethreads’ was a recommended band by the name of Anywhen and specifically an album by the name of ‘The Opiates – Revisited.’ It seemed like the internet love for this album and band I had never heard of before was pretty much unanimous, so I decided to check it out.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that that certain sharethread was for depressing, sad music. Fit my mood at the time, don’t ask.

image But when I started listening, it was an all too familiar feeling. This time, it was Thomas Feiner’s distinctive baritone range that resulted in a reverberating, penetrating effect on my ears. You know what, that came out wrong, and I’m damn glad, because his voice really does penetrate. It’s deep, dreamy, and almost brooding. Like Isaac Hayes if he sang folk.

Combined with those distinctive vocals were the lyrics he sang about. And boy, these lyrics blew me away. They weren’t super-metaphorical or had literary prowess that would make a scholar do a double-take. No, they were simple, but they were written well; poetry, to an extent. Out of all the songs on ‘The Opiates – Revisited’, they all seem to deal with love, emotion, and sadness. If that’s not heavy enough, combine it with Feiner’s voice.

Lyrics from ‘All That Numbs You’ :

Take your battered soul, wear it as a crown
All that numbs you
Run a thousand miles, ‘till you hit the ground
All that numbs you now
And the days roll into one and the same on you
The world revolving around your spinning head

They’re not complicated lyrics to grasp, and I even get the vibe that these lyrics are not for sending a message, but part of the song as a whole. What I mean is, it stands alongside the atmospheric guitar, the jazzy, soft drums, sombre piano and additional horns as a part of the songs progression as music. But almost. It still maintains the center stage as what you listen to. And Feiner’s voice—yes, that penetrating voice, digs a hole into your head.

As unfortunate as it is, Anywhen broke up sometime in the early 2000’s, which left Thomas Feiner to complete the unfinished collaboration by himself, hence christening this album its ‘Revisited’ status.

Still, we can enjoy this album in its entirety, which is a lucky thing. /mu/ told me to do myself a favour and download the album, so I’ll repeat their words and tell you to do yourself a favour and download or buy this album.

Also, Thomas Feiner is Swedish. Fuck yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment