Tuesday, February 9, 2010

This is Me

Your canvas can be coloured or contoured or carved.
Your paint can be watered down or thick like sap.
Your vision can be in seven different shades and
Have seven different ways of painting it or sculpting it or making it.

But I have one.
I have one canvas, one paintbrush.
One vision, in one shade. One way of creating something.
It’s not gray or black or white.
There is no mixing or stroking or splattering of paint.
There is only flow.

Each stroke is miniscule, each streak of ink part of a greater whole.
My paintbrush can be in seven different elements,
But they make one.
One idea, one message, one picture.
One story or one setting. One world or one reality.
My mind is my canvas. My imagination is my palette.
Characters are my colours. Emotion is my texture.

I create with words, with prose, with passion.
Give me a pen, and I will paint a picture
Of the greatest worlds or the bitterest of feelings.
Dotting and stemming, flowing and freeing,
My process work is my idea; my artist statement is my very existence.

This is what I call art.
This is the reason I am here.
This is my explanation.

What’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment