Tuesday, November 17, 2009

‘It’s Russian.’

I can’t pass this one up. I mean, it’s too good. Way too good. And Fox News jumping on it too? Come on, it’s an insult to the video game industry and Infinity Ward if I don’t address this. So here I go:

I enjoyed killing countless numbers of civilians with a machine gun and grenades.

fox-news-logoYes! Run amuck, silly conservative parents! Ban me from things! Call me a terrorist! Brand me a sinner to America’s nationality. Call me a psychopath capable of shooting up his school after a night of Modern Warfare 2. Cry wolf, point and shout, throw rocks if you have to. You won’t change the facts:

This has no impact on anyone’s lives whatsoever.

I mean come on, this game—this incredibly awesome game—tells you straight up if you want to pass on shooting unmoving, unsuspecting and vulnerable targets like cow-tipping on a pasture. It’s the only time you will be able to shoot unsuspecting and vulnerable stationary targets in this game, and possibly any other FPS.

And you expect me to click ‘No’? Are you stupid or something?

If it counts for anything, it was really fun. For the people who survived the initial random spray from my horrible console shooter aiming, I could aim down my sights for once and just shoot them in the kneecaps so they die from trauma or blood loss. Or I shoot them in the head and they explode and whatnot. Wait, wrong game. My bad.

Violence in video games. Honestly? It’s almost an contradiction itself with that statement. Everyone’s caught on to the voice behind the debacle, and if you haven’t, get it in gear. Put the most hardcore COD4 gamer from one of the most prestigious teams in the world into a real-life wartime setting. They will shit their pants. Guaranteed.

So when I hear ‘video games are getting too violent,’ what’s the reasoning behind this? It teaches kids bad behaviour. Uh, no. Fuck off. Or maybe it's conditioning them to think its okay to pick up weapons and shoot everyone they see. I could fertilize crops with that much bullshit. And my personal favourite: the one where a parent, so caring about their child, confronts biased news networks to release to the public how much a ‘violent’ video game as worsened their child’s life and their own.

There’s your crying wolf. Your scapegoat. Mrs. Responsible Parent thinks she’s a smart apple to get some extra attention on the news. And guess what? No backlash. Because the news ceased being the news for a while now. But that’s another story.

imageModern Warfare 2 is a game that will break records. It will be a significant game, if it isn’t already. If your kid is nothing short of downright ecstatic that he got Modern Warfare 2, he’s a faggot. Your kid’s life is worse because you made it worse. Don’t blame a fucking video game. Let’s be adults here, for God’s sake.

I’m not saying this because it happened, its because I’m worried it will happen. And people tend to not learn from mistakes or past experiences that well. Or maybe I’m just surrounded by idiots. Who knows.

All I know is: stop it before it starts. If you’re a COD gamer, or a gamer of any sort, speak up about this kind of shit. Gamers Against Completely Fucking Retarded Prejudice.  GA(CF)RP. It even comes off as a retarded-sounding acronym. If you’re a parent, it depends what you should do. If your kid is 9 years old and he is killing Russian civilians in an airport, what the fuck is wrong with you and return that game immediately. Right now, at once. If you’re a parent with a kid who’s over 14 and capable of conscious thinking, give them a break because chances strongly point towards your child not turning out to be a terrorist.

If you fall into any other category besides that, enjoy the game, because its fucking awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment