Tuesday, October 4, 2011

DC Comics New 52 | September Pull List

A month later, and the first phase is over. Would you call it a success? Well, every single issue one has been sold out of first printings and gotten back to the presses, and Justice League #1, released August 31 to kick it all off, is going back to a fifth printing. All fifty-two new comic books are going back to second printings.

May not be amazing to you, but it is to me considering the controversy, criticisms and scepticism that dominated online forums, blogs, and comic book websites. How about that DC Comics boycott (pretty sure this isn’t the real campaign, but it’s funny and sad nonetheless)?

Wonder how that’s working out for them.

Just maybe, DC Comics gets the upper hand on Marvel for monthly sales returns. Wouldn’t that be something. In following this entire re-launch from day one, examining all the discussion and dialogue exchanged between retailers, publisher, and audience, it’s a really interesting case study into the sociological and cultural workings of fanbases, and the industry of comics as a whole, both creator and consumer end.

This is just trying to make things relevant. Because I know so many of you care about it. In all honesty though, studying the response on a weekly basis—more than just pulling my books of the shelf and reading them—actually participating in how the audience reaction is taught me a lot about how a niche market operates and how, in turn, are affected by a very specific, loyal, and incredibly passionate consumer base.

Going into detail is for another post. Here’s what I’ve picked up since last time:

September Pull List - DC Comics

Up from 12 to a lovely round number like 20, I’ve added a few ones that have won me over. As well, ones I was eyeing from the beginning for Week 4 of this first month. Specifically:

The Flash #1 – Written by Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato, art by Manapul.

Superman #1 – Written by George Perez, art by Jesus Merino.

Aquaman #1 – Written by Geoff Johns, art by Ivan Reis & Joe Prado.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #1 – Written by Tony Bedard, art by Tyler Kirkham & BATT (Matt Banning)

Justice League Dark #1 – Written by Peter Milligan, art by Mikel Janin.

I, Vampire #1 – Written by Joshua Hale Fiakov, art by Andrea Sorrentino.

All-Star Western #1 – Written by Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti, art by Moritat.

All-Star Western I just picked up today, because there were literally three of DC’s new ones left on the shelves at Silver Snail in Toronto today. Sad to see Aquaman sitting lonely in a corner, but what can you do, slow and steady wins the hearts of haters, I hope?

Speaking of Aquaman, that one I will definitely be talking about soon. All-Star Western was a gem, can’t believe I passed on it till now. Sleeper hits like I, Vampire, and earlier released ones like Batwing deserve some praise (considering the controversy surrounding Batwing’s author for his other book).

There’s still 32 more, but unfortunately I’ll have to cut it here for the month. The three issue ones I never got a hold off cause I was late to the game—or rather the comic book shop, were DC Universe Presents, Wonder Woman, and Detective Comics.

The others I’ll still read, but necessarily in the most supportive of methods.

Big pile of comics on my desk makes me a happy fanboy. Reviews to come when I muster up the energy. Really, these are all just really good issue ones.

Oh and, Francis Manapul signed my Flash #1, and drew me a sketch. I bet you’ll want to see that.

Stay tuned. And read comic books!

No comments:

Post a Comment