Friday, July 8, 2011

EPIC Video Game Trailer of the Week

The more I read up on The Secret World, my imagination starts running rampant with the possibilities of what this game might include and what I want it to include and what if this was actually real life and oh my god, what if the Slender Man is real?

And then I go to wondering about how awesome this concept for a Massively-Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. For anyone who’s not familiar, most MMORPG’s are Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones/any well-known epic fantasy fiction-esque arching storylines with magic and swordsmanship and GLORY.

What’s different about this? Well, as you can tell, there’s that guy in the trailer who reminds me of John Constantine only he actually gives less of a fuck, and also there’s a crazy tentacle ghost-monster? The Secret World is set in modern day times, in ‘our’ world, with everything seemingly normal except that every single fucking supernatural conspiracy exists beneath the shroud of everyday life.

image

image

So, given that realization, I jumped on the bandwagon because I love me some supernatural creature design. Werewolves, Wendigos, Vampires, Djinns, Spectres (badass-looking ghosts) and zombies are just some of the enemies to be found in this game, replacing the traditional enemies you’d find in other MMORPG’s we’re familiar with.

Since you probably don’t care about gameplay mechanics, I’ll just skip that part and keep talking about the art of this game. It’s pretty damn cool if you look at both gameplay and cinematic trailers. Like these earlier two:

With all these fantastically Lovecraftian creatures running about the world, there needs to be some bros to put an end to it right? Right! So you got three ‘secret societies’; hell yeah, they exist—the Illuminati (of course), the Dragon, and the Templars. Three factions have different philosophies, intentions and ulterior motives to what they want with the supernatural, but I believe they’re all looking for certain relics around the world to do something crazy with.

Really, if you don’t think this is cool, your imagination is about as thriving as a decomposing leaf.

I mean, fuck, I could spend 2 blog posts just talking about the character and creature design. But I’m merciful. Do I care if this game will be good or not? Hell no, I just want more cinematic trailers. Cinematic video game trailers are one of the best things ever in the world ever. Ever.

Supernatural monsters come a close second.

No comments:

Post a Comment